Undergraduate Employment Programme
The Undergraduate Employment Programme (UGEP) provides you with a unique opportunity to benefit from paid work experience whilst you study on the BSc (Hons) International Financial Services degree.
Organisations that support the programme include:
Translate the theory of your degree into practice
The Undergraduate Employment Programme (UGEP) provides you with a unique opportunity to benefit from paid work experience whilst you study. Whilst gaining relevant hands-on experience of financial services with a choice of some of the world’s leading financial organisations, you will be able to translate the theory of your degree into practice. This invaluable experience will be reflected in your CV, giving you the competitive edge when it comes to future employability. As formal lectures and tutorials take place during the first half of the week at the Business School, this allows students to participate in the employment programme in the latter half of the week. The programme continues throughout the whole two years of your degree. This format allows you to contextualise your academic learning on an ongoing basis, enabling you to embed your knowledge. The programme is supported by a diverse range of organisations across the financial services sector, such as major banks, international wealth managers, trust companies and leading law firms.
Each organisation operates a slightly different scheme to reflect the nature of its business, but each offers up to 20 hours’ paid work a week. To be eligible for the Undergraduate Employment Programme you must first be offered a place on the degree; then you will take part in a selection process operated by each organisation in accordance with their own recruitment procedures.
100% of the current students who wanted a work placement and were eligible for one are complementing their studies with part-time employment in the financial services industry.
Over 20 leading organisations offer UGEP placements in such areas as banking, trust and company administration, fund services, accountancy and wealth management.
100% of the Class of 2016 secured permanent graduate employment at organisations including Moore Stephens, Intertrust, UBS, Mourant Ozannes and RBS International.
Key features of the UGEP
Depending on which organisation you are placed with, your experience may involve some or all of the following:
- A structured rotational scheme around key business areas and central functions
- Exposure to a range of services and products provided to customers by financial services businesses in such areas as Corporate Banking; Treasury; Wealth and Private Banking; Operations; Risk; and Compliance
- Hands-on learning experience and an understanding of how all the various business areas work together
- Involvement in real-time projects that enable you to develop your skills
- Internal career development and access to senior leaders and mentors who will guide you in your early career
- Interaction with both clients and colleagues in other jurisdictions across the globe, including International Financial Centres such as Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai
Students from Jersey, Guernsey, the UK and the European Union can apply for the Undergraduate Employment Programme once they are accepted onto the degree; however, due to local employment regulations international students from elsewhere are not able to join the programme.